A message from our Mayor Cllr Steve Vickers
As you will all be aware, the recent spread of a new illness called Coronavirus (COVID-19) has caused widespread concerns in our community. I would like to reassure the public that Featherstone Town Council is taking all the necessary precautions, which include the closing down of Featherstone Community Centre and the the cancellation of all civic events and council meetings until further notice.
Please look out for your neighbours and the vulnerable members of your family, it is in difficult times like these where we can really show the strength of our community, by working together to care for those in need. Do consider others when buying your groceries by only buying your normal quantities of items so no one must go without. There are some things that you can do to protect yourself and others from coronavirus, NHS England have released the following advice:
· Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
· Always wash your hands when you get home or into work
· Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
· Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
· Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
· Avoid close contact with people who have symptoms of coronavirus
· Only travel on public transport if you need to
· Work from home, if you can
· Avoid social activities, such as going to pubs, restaurants, theatres and cinemas
· Avoid events with large groups of people
· Use phone, online services, or apps to contact your GP surgery or other NHS services
· Protecting the vulnerable in our community is of vital importance in the coming weeks
· Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
· Do not have visitors to your home, including friends and family
Thank you for your consideration, Cllr Steve Vickers, Town Mayor
For more information visit the websites below:
Welcome to Featherstone Town Council.
Featherstone Town Council services the Town of Featherstone and the villages of Streethouse, Purston, Ackton and Old Snydale. We are situated in the Wakefield District and serve a population of around 15,000.
Featherstone Town Council is made up of 12 Councillors who are all elected members. You can view your ward Councillors by taking a look at the ‘Councillors’ page where you will find information on how to contact us.